Re: confusing pcmcia problems

Michael,

So you have network connectivity, but not necessarily tcp/ip connectivity (assuming no hardware problems).

I believe you said you could not ping a server (tcp/ip).
Can you ping yourself?  ping 127.0.0.1 and ping server.assigned.ip.123
Are you using a DHCP relay? (which would allow your dhcp server to be on another subnet, and could possibly prevent you from pinging it, if you had no routing table.  DHCP relay would be on another server, not on your workstation.

Get tcpdump, and run it.  Let's see what's going on.  Open up two windows, 'tcpdump -n eth0' (-n = no DNS resolution, too slow) on one window.  On the other, try pinging someone you know is on your subnet:

It will look something like this:
assuming your ip is 10.0.0.100

Win1                                           Win2
# tcpdump -n       (must be root)              $ ping 10.0.0.123
Listing on eth0
arp who-has 10.0.0.123 tell 10.0.0.100
arp reply 10.0.0.123 is-at 0:d0:ba...
10.0.0.100 > 10.0.0.123: icmp: echo request    64 bytes from ...123 .1ms
10.0.0.123 > 10.0.0.100: icmp: echo reply

Also, on the ping, whether or not you get a response, you'll see 0% up through 100% packet lost.  I assume you are getting 100% loss?

If this doesn't help, try posting your ifconfig, route -n and an example ping and tcpdump.  Also ping 127.0.0.1 and your server assigned ip.

Cory