X Windows Geometry Question

Try the following X resource:

Emacs.geometry: 80x40

If that doesn't work, try the class name XEmacs instead of Emacs.If
that still doesn't work, let me know.  I can explain how I set my
system up, a little more complicated than the above, but it works well.

Remember that if you make such changes in .Xresources, you need to do
a "xrdb -merge .Xresources" after each change, or restart X.