X Windows Geometry Question

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I am having a
minor problem with my laptops display under the standard Potato
distribution with X and fvwm2 and blackbox using the SVGA and
Neomagic X servers.

Every time I start Xemacs 21.1 the default window geometry is such
that either the title bar is off the top of the screen or the
minibuffer is off the bottom of the screen.  Any ideas how to fix
this, or a better forum to ask in much appreciated.

Kieren