Re: sony vaio laptops

eQuoting Mike Phillips on Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 02:52:30PM -0500:
> I had a PCG-Z505S and the only thing that I didn't get working was the
> WinModem, but then I had high speed connection everywhere anyway so I
> never bothered trying. The 12" screen is a delight to work with, X
> configures up no trouble at all. Sound is well supported now. USB may
> well take some effort, but I did get it working.
>
> The only complaint was the battery life, on the standard battery you
> could may get 1.5 hours out of it is you're lucky. I don't know about
> the 3x battery and I didn't have one.
>
> Only had CD not DVD so can't comment.
>
> Trick to installing from cd-rom, when the kernel boots  append:
> ide2=0x180 to the lilo boot line and the cd is available as a regular
> ide device, doesn't even need pcmcia support to access it.
>
> This machine was great when I had both the laptop and a desktop machine,
> but now I'm done to one machine only I found the Sony not quite upto the
> task of day to day heavy development machine and went for a full size
> laptop instead (Dell Latitude CPx) which is a great machine you just
> have to live with the weight.
>
> Mike

Thats true.  The new dell laptops seem to strike a balance between light
weight and heavy duty processor/memory and screen.  The one I spec'ed out
was a C600 I believe.  Pentium III 700, 512mb memory, ATI Video card I
believe, and 20g hard disk drive.  This is in what dell calls a reasonable
lite laptop.  I think it comes in a bit heavier than my Ls but is still a
lot lighter than the Cpx or the monster 7500.

A friend that works at Dell told me that the C600 runs Linux like a champ.
I don't believe its being offered yet as a preloaded Linux solution.

--
Michael Perry
mperry@tsoft.com