Re: sound question

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Adam Shand wrote:

> > Add the name of any modules you want loaded at startup to the file
> > '/etc/modules'.
>
> another way to do this is to run 'modconf' and to load the modules you
> need.  modconf will make sure that they are loaded at boot time.

   Why load modules at boot time?
   It's better to load them on demand. Now my sound driver is loaded on
demand. To do that I added a file called 'local_aliases' in
'/etc/modutils'. It contains:

# Sound
alias char-major-14 es1370

   Then I reran 'update-modules' and now my sound driver is loaded only
when necessary. You can try out the above, just replace es1370 with the
name of your driver, and check that the major number of the /dev/dsp
device is 14.

   Now if I can just figure out how to automatically unload it when it's
not needed...

--
Francois Gouget         fgouget@free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
    I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape around here somewhere...