Re: Best Laptop?

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list (a few days), and I'm sure you get this question
> often, but I figured I'd ask for some advice. I'm about to buy a new
> laptop, and would like to maximize the hardware that will work, and
> minimize the gotchas. I've been perusing linuxhardware.net a fair
> bit, and there is good info, but, of course it's a bit old - and I'm
> looking at mid-high range laptops - so they've got lots of newish
> hardware.
>
> Right now, I'm thinking primarily of getting a Dell Lattitude CPx or
> Inspiron 8000, or a Sony Vaio PCG.
>
> Good choices? I've got Debian running on a Winbook XL, which went
> fairly smoothly  (although I haven't gotten the sound to work yet.)
>
> Any advice would be appreciated - also I'd like to hear about any
> other notebooks people really like.
>
> tia,
>
> Michelle

<plug>
Well, you could buy a debian laptop from Tuxtops... http://www.tuxtops.com/
</plug>

Kenneth Harker's site about Linux on Laptops ought to give a good sense
of which hardware is an annoying and insane effort, versus what ought to
do alright.  But I have definitely found that two things that you can't
really change out (without ruining the spirit of getting a laptop, to
carry more computer in less space) is the video and the keyboard.  So if
you have a store you can go to, to get your hands on these things, and
let your eyeballs see if you can stand its idea of white...  you should
*defininitely* do that.  Failing that, make sure you buy from a vendor
that has a good return policy.

Enjoy

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...