Re: Current developments with InterMezzo

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry [shaleh@valinux.com] wrote:

> sorry, some of us don't like trusting system level things to high level
> languages like perl.  Mostly a bias.  Partly a runtime efficiency thing.

I like their idea of making use of existing filesystem infrastructure
etc rather than building from the ground up like with coda.  It seems
logical to segment the problem into different layers.  In the longer
term I would think this would lead to more reliability because the
different components can be checked separately --- and it takes
advantage of all the debugging effort people put into the standard
filesystems.

But presumably they could have used something like C instead of perl.
Would this have made you happy?

They must have had their reasons for using perl.  Development time
perhaps?

Cheers,

Mark.

--