X4 on Neomagic NM2160

Has anyone had any success getting X4 to run on a Neomagic NM2160 chipset? ( Dell Latatude CPi )

I've run into several problems, but so far can only get an ugly 800x600 mode to run. 1024x768 hangs with a black screen. No Magic SysReq key, so I end up having to telnet in, so I can reboot cleanly.

Some of the issues I've run across are:
	missing xfs dependency
	dexter sets DefaultDepth = 24; change to 16
	xdm in init.d tries to start a broken X4, and hangs

If anyone else is running into a similar problem, let me know, and we'll compare notes.

--Mike