Re: X4 is slow on Neomagic (NM2200)

At 11:47 AM 11/7/00, Anton Gyllenberg wrote:
I use woody and upgraded to X4. The upgrade was painless and the
X4 configuration tool 'dexter' worked nicely. I chose the 'neomagic'
driver and a resolution of 1024x768. Everything seems to work correctly,
but the new X is noticeably slower than the old one. For example,
scrolling in netscape hurts badly.

Is this normal behaviour, or perhaps a configuration error?

Anton

I don't know if this applies to your setup, but last week, I had a problem where helix-gnome was very slow, but enlightenment was not. ( Under X3.3.6 )

The problem turned out to be that helix-gnome was using enlightenment as it's window manager instead of sawfish. Setting it back to sawfish fixed the problem.

--Mike