Re: loading modules

Drew Parsons wrote:

  On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 06:09:12AM -0800, Andrew
Dixon wrote:
  > Drew Parsons wrote:
  >

  >   lsmod displays loaded modules.
  > lsmod gives:
  >
  >     #lsmod
  >     Module       Pages    Used by
  >     memory_cs        2            0
  >     ds               2            [memory_cs]    2
  >     i82365           5            2
  >     pcmcia_core      9            [memory_cs ds
  > i82365]    0

  memory_cs is *very* suspicious here.  I get that
loaded when my system isn't
  working properly (it's supposed to refer to a PCMCIA
memory card, which I
  presume you aren't using).   You didn't mention what
model laptop you have.
  On my Toshiba laptop (490CDT) I found I had to
switch the BIOS setting for
  the PCMCIA ports to 16 bit only (no cardbus), to
stop that problem happening.

The laptop is a Sony Vaio f250 and the card is a
NetGear ethernet card model FA510c which
is a 32-bit CardBus card.  Could you educate me on the
terminology here?  Does CardBus
mean a 32-bit port?

How did you tweek your BIOS settings?

  But recompiling your kernel is the best thing to do
first. Don't forget to
  recompile the pcmcia-modules as well when you do.

  > and modprobe gives:
  >
  >     #modprobe -k tulip
  >     /lib/modules/2.0.38/net/tulip.o: init_module:
  > Device or resource busy

  Probably related to the memory_cs problem.

  > Can you make any sence out of this?  I can't find
  > man page for pcmcia-cs, what is it?

  The user program for dealing with pcmcia-cs is
cardctl, but don't forget
  there's plenty of documentation in /usr/share/doc.
You can restart
  pcmcia-cs with "/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart" (but you
might get the "busy"
  message again if you try).

no it seems to work fine.

    #/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
    Shutting down PCMCIA services: cardmgr modules
    Starting PCMCIA services: modules cardmgr

thanks,
Andy