XF86Configs

G'Day !

This is probably a much repeated question, but ....

I am running X on Dell Latitude 4100 using the SVGA server with a fvwm2 as my
window manager.  Everything works great, except this one little quirk that is
beginning to bug me.

I have 9 pages set-up in a 3 x 3 configuration.  From what I can tell this is
pretty much the default.  The problem is that my pages extend out beyond my
physical screen so I can not view any windows within the hidden portions of each
virtual page.

If this were my desktop, I would just adjust my video timings for the monitor
and life would be good, but I'm not sure about my laptop, because sometimes I
just use the LCD, sometimes I use a monitor (various models at home and work)
and sometimes I use both.

So what do I use ...  if I optimize for the LCD, what should I use for the
monitor refresh rates.  Dell's web site appears fairly useless for obsolete
models.  And what happens when I use a monitor.  For some reason Ctrl-Alt-(+)
and Ctrl_Alt-(-) do not seem to switch between video modes, so I can not create
a seperate one for each monitor.

In a related question, how do I get the built in trackball to work.  So far I
have had to drag around an old serial mouse I had laying around.

cheers,
Jim Parker

Sailboat racing is not a matter of life and death ....  It is far more important
than that !!!