Re: Thinkpad T20 - 650MHz P3

Russell Coker wrote:

> On 2000-10-23 14:48, m.nine.six wrote:
> >Russell Coker wrote:
> >> Thanks for that information.  I have (finally) installed ALSA on my
> >> Thinkpad and I get the following in my dmesg output when I try playing
> >> (and it gives an error "Can't open /dev/dsp".  I am using the latest ALSA
> >> Debian packages (0.5.9d-1) in kernel 2.4.0-test9.  I would appreciate it
> >> if you (or anyone else) has any more advice on this issue.  Reverting to
> >> 2.2.x kernels is not an option on this machine (I need the latest ReiserFS
> >> and devfs).
> >
> >you should be in the `audio' user group.
> >
> >       usermod -G <other grous>,audio <user name>
> >
> >and then make the /dev/dsp0 (because /dev/dsp is a link) writeable to
> >the audio group.
> >
> >       chown root.audio /dev/dsp0
> >       chmod 660 /dev/dsp0
>
> I use devfs so the /dev/sound/dsp is created automatically for me.  I had
> also created the sym-link from /dev/sound/dsp to /dev/dsp.
> Open failed doesn't necessarily mean that there is no /dev/dsp device or that
> permissions are wrong.  It can also mean that there's some error in the
> device driver than prevents opening it (which is what is happening for me).

i know but that was the usual fault from the user side.

i don't know what it could be.

but i attached my alsa conf. (don't forget to disable the path line!)
perhaps it could work. i have als cs461x and i have also some conflicts
with alsa and pcmcia slot (especialy in coherence with suspend to ram).

ps: does ReiserFS works fine (without any problems)?

--
bye,
alias m.nine.six.
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.4.3b ---
path[snd]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/alsa
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs461x
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660 snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0
options snd-card-cs461x snd_index=0 snd_id=CARD_0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---