kernels

Is there some reason you don't want or can't get the PCMCIA network
card working with your current kernel first?  Unless it is an
esoteric, new, unsupported card, the issues you'll need to resolve are
the same with the new or old kernel, so you might as well solve them
first.  Then you can skip the hassle of doing the kernel upgrade from
floppy.