Re: Dell Latitude LX

> G'Day !
>
> About a year ago, I bought a Dell Latitude LX (yes an old 486 monster), so I
> could edit source files while away from my desktop.  With RCS, Emacs and a
> basic command line, eveything worked great.  BUT, the project grew and I
> needed more capability.  Namely X-window and an ethernet connection.
>
> BTW, I'm running a 2.0.38 kernel with a combination of 2.1 and 2.2 packages
>
> I bought a D-Link DFE-650 PCMCIA ethernet card and set-it up via the HOW-TOs.
> The card manager finds the card and reports it as a NE2000 compatable, but it
> does not communicate with the outside world.  Dmesg keeps reporting Tx errors.
> Any suggestions ?  I thought it might be a cable, so I've already tested that.
>
> The second is when I bought it, it had windows 95 on it with no documention.
> My development efforts involve OpenGL (really MESA) and I need some
> rudimentry X support.  Does anyone know which chipset this laptop uses and
> more importantly which X-server to use ?

Well, I suppose you could run SuperProbe (that's a commandline tool that
comes with X to probe the video hardware) which is the equivalent of asking
the hardware what it thinks it is.

> Does anyone have the hardware specs ?  I bought it from my company's surplus
> sales, so it should be pretty stock.

Dunno for sure but an OS/2 page found via Google hints that it may be Neomagic.
Something about it being in a 486 makes that not sound right, but if it's so,
SuperProbe should spot it.

> BTW Just ordered the latest and greatest CD's, so ...
>
> cheers,
> Jim Parker

Best of luck

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...