Re: broken mouse after undocking

> There are those who would have you believe that Richard Black wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Most of the day I use my laptop is a docking station with an external
> > mouse.  I've noticed that when I remove my laptop from its docking
> > station and open it up, I have X okay, but no mouse.
> >
> > Is there are way to get X to recognise my mouse (i.e. the one on the
> > laptop, not an external one) when I undock my laptop?
> >

> Many laptops will disable the internal mouse if they see that an
> external one is present, and enable it if they don't.  Some only
> perform this check when the computer boots.  You may have one of
> these.  Check your BIOS to see if you have a setting to affect this
> behavior.  You might have to live with both mice always being enabled.

You might try removing the external mouse while it is still docked, using
the builtin mouse so you know it works, then undocking.

(if it doesn't work then, you'll have to use the gpm trick described by
someone else on the list - it will be the only way to keep the mouse sane.)

btw, I know a handful of dock-based systems that behave much better if you
suspend them before you undock them - perhaps they do bus rescans when they
resume.  So, if you don't normally do that, you could try that too.  Heck,
you could even try a suspend/resume cycle after it's undocked...

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...