Re: cdrom "exec" permissions denied

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, J. R. S. Brownson <jrsb@geology.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Hi all, I'm using a Targus Slim-Line cdrom via pc card interface on my
> NEC P75. The cdrom is mounted from /dev/hdc to /cdrom and works fine
> *except* for the fact that executable permission is denied. When I
> type "mount", the line for cdrom reads: /dev/hdc on /cdrom type
> iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

The line you specify right there should tell you what you want to know:
you[1] have specified, amongst the other mount options, that you do not
want executable code, suid code and device files to be usable on the CD.

So, to get executable stuff running off it, remove 'noexec' from the
mount options in fstab and remount the CD.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Well, whoever wrote the fstab, anyway.

--
Finishing a book is just like you took a child
out in the back yard and shot it.