Re: help with DSL/DHCP install

> Does the dsl hook to an external dsl modem or minirouter? Usually, in most
> dsl setups, the ethernet card is to hook up to an external box on the other
> end that takes the dsl signal, and allows you to communicate as if
> everything ran on direct ethernet. Also, there's cards that function as dsl
> modems and network cards, in which case the cable from the dsl jack would
> fit in to something on the back of the card, and have no box between. If
> it's just a card, then certain drivers are probably required.

thanks for you help brent,

i think you may be onto something.  i tried a tip from someone else and while
things seems to be working they dont.  i think that this may be because there
is a switch (router?  im unfamiliar with the lingo) between the modem and the
machine.  that way 3 different machines can use the line.. my guess is that i
should be doing something special for that, no?

if i run dhclient (ive already modified the file and ran it before...) i get
the following output:

Listening on LPF/lo/<null>
Sending on   LPF/lo/<null>
Listening on LPF/eth0/00:a0:24:e3:ae:8c
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:a0:24:e3:ae:8c
Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 90.0.0.1
SIOCADDRT: File exists
bound to 90.0.0.2 -- renewal in 172800 seconds

any ideas?

thanks again...

ari
arigold@bigfoot.com

ps. i think in trying to type "CC" i hit control C control C the "send"
command in mh-emacs.. pardon the extra email .. ;/