Re: help with DSL/DHCP install

On Tue, 03 Oct 2000, ari gold <arigold@cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:

[...]

> if i run dhclient (ive already modified the file and ran it before...)
> i get the following output:
>
> Listening on LPF/lo/<null>
> Sending on   LPF/lo/<null>
> Listening on LPF/eth0/00:a0:24:e3:ae:8c
> Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:a0:24:e3:ae:8c
> Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
> DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
> DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> DHCPACK from 90.0.0.1
> SIOCADDRT: File exists
> bound to 90.0.0.2 -- renewal in 172800 seconds

That last line says that you have, as of that point, an IP address for
your local machine. You actually made it onto the Internet (in theory,
anyway :)

The way to check that is to run the command

] ping 139.130.4.5

That should actually manage to bounce packets off the main nameserver at
Telstra here in Australia. If it does, you are on the Internet. :) [1]

So, if that gets a happy response (you get ping response packets), all
you should have left to do is get the nameserver stuff setup.

Have a look at the file /etc/resolv.conf and see what the resolve
address is set to. That will be a line like 'nameserver 172.16.33.4'.

If there isn't one of those lines, you need to find the DNS server IP
address that your ISP gave you and add the line 'nameserver <that IP>'
to the file /etc/resolv.conf.

Then, still as root, issue the command:

] /etc/init.d/nscd restart

That may or may not exist on your machine, but it makes *sure* that name
resolution works.

Then you should be able to refer to machines by name as well as by
address. :)

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I picked that because I /know/ it's up, while I am unsure 'bout
     anything in the US. :)

--
It's a kind of war
Where I plant bombs inside