Re: using flash memory cards...

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Alan Su <alsu@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> i'm using a flash memory card in my laptop...gotta say it's pretty
> slick how it appears as just another ide device!  anyway, just out of
> curiosity, i tried to pop the card out when it was mounted.  it seems
> the card is unmounted, but the resources for the ide interface created
> for it are not released.

*Don't* do that. The Linux IDE support is not hot-swap capable at
present. You will break things.

The fact that it works as well as it does is nice, but it's broken. You
need to properly clean-up the interface before you remove the card.

You should make sure that you use sync(1) to flush all the buffers to
the device, then use cardctl(8) to eject the PCMCIA slot that the card
is in.

That will cause the IDE resources to be cleanly deallocated without a
risk of fscking up your system. Then you can eject the card.

        Daniel

--
He uses hate as a weapon to defend himself; had he been strong,
he would never have needed that kind of weapon.