X-Fonts too big

I've just installed potato on my Sharp PC 9090 notebook. I used to run
slink with no problem, but in potato the fonts in Xwindows are displayed
far too big. I first noticed it when I started Communicator and the text
beneath the icons (back, reload etc) was much bigger than it used to be.
The same effect in gfcc and Acrobat Reader. They are far too big
compared to the fonts in the window titles, so it's not a case of "just
choose a smaller font if you don't like it".

Has anybody got a clue? I'm running Xfree 3.3.6 with an S3-Xserver.

Thanx,

Andreas