Re: Libretto and Debian

--- Terence Gorender <terence@bitcasters.com> wrote:
> Hey has anyone put Debian on a Toshiba Libretto
> 100ct?
>
> Is there a archive of this list I could search?
>
> Terence G.

I stuck debian (2.1, later upped to 2.2) on my
Libretto 70CT, not much different than L100. Here's
how I did it:

1. Made a FAT partition at the end of the disk, in the
space normally reserved for suspend-to-disk. (I used
PartitionMagic for this, but fdisk under DOS might
work as well.) Note for the foolish: Don't suspend
right now ;-)

2. Stuck all the files needed for a disk install on
that FAT partition. (I think they need to be in a
directory called \DEBIAN - check inst. manual)

3. Booted with the Debian boot disk. (Since SYSLINUX
uses BIOS fd routines, you can load a kernel and
ramdisk from a pcmcia disk. You just can't do anything
with it once yer in Linux.)

4. Installed modules and base from FAT system.

5. Installed everything else.

(I used PLIP and NFS to my desktop for the non-base
debs, but that's kind of slow and unreliable. If you
have a PCMCIA network card, now's the time to use it.)

6. Once Linux was up, I changed the FAT partition to
"unknown type". Then I could suspend/resume again
without destroying files that I cared about.

Tell me if this works for you, or if it doesn't. Also
email if you have questions about getting the hardware
to work. A lot of it's different 70<->100, but some is
the same or similar.

Hope this helps.

Ben