Re: volume control keys (gateway 9300)

> sen_ml@eccosys.com writes:
>  >
>  > oops, now i think i see that you want to control the volume directly
>  > via some of your keys.  in that case, i don't think aumix will work
>  > for you.  sorry about that.
>
> Thank you for your reponse. It is precisely what I want to do.
>
> --Nabil

There is a utility (whose name I forget at the moment, but which can surely
be spotted via man -k scancode)  to show you the codes of keys on your keyboard
as you press them.

If (and the size of this if depends entirely on gateway, who gave you the kb)
the keys you are talking about generate codes, then you can create an improved
keymap for the console which will use them, and you can have xmodmap assign
facility names to them under X.  They will be far more useful under X, where
window managers can assign arbitrary commands to them.  But under the console
you can have at least one "keyboard signal" function, which invokes a line
in your inittab.  You could have it switch you to a private console where
you have some console mode mixer going.

Best of luck

* Heather * star@ many places...