Re: slink to potato apt-get ftp upg. PCMCIA problem

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 06:19:51AM +0000, W. Borgert wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I'm using Debian 2.2 on a Dell Latitude with Xircom ethernet
> and modem card.  While everything works fine with a static
> network configuration in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts, `pump'
> seems to hang, when I want to use DHCP.  I tried to replace
> pump with dhcpcd, but also without success.  The kernel I
> use is 2.2.15 and I tried both pcmcia-{cs,modules} 3.1.8 and
> 3.1.19.  If I call pump -i eth0 manually I get an "Operation
> failed".  A desktop system in the same LAN and Debian 2.2
> works fine with DHCP (pump), but there's no PCMCIA network
> card...

I've had many problems with my Xircom cardbus ethernet/modem. I've
had no problems with a Xircom pcmcia ethernet card. See this week's
kernel traffic (http://kt.linuxcare.com) which mentions problems with
programming the MAC address on the cardbus card.

I'd recommend the old style pcmcia card if you want to use a Xircom
card right now.

My cardbus card has been failing different ways with different
kernel/pcmcia-cs combos, but in general putting the card into
promiscuous mode would fix the ethernet problem for me. The modem
would work on some kernel/pcmcia-cs combos, but not others.

For ethernet:
1. Sometimes it just works right.
2. Sometimes dhclient will work, but I can't ping hosts on the local
   network after dhcp sets up networking. I have to put the card into
   promiscuous mode, send an outgoing packet, and then back into
   standard mode. The network seems to work fine after this sequence.
3. Sometimes dhclient won't get an address. When this happens I
   restart dhclient and turn on promiscuous mode before dhclient times
   out. If I turn off promiscuous mode in this case, the network stops
   working.
4. If 3 doesn't work, try rebooting; you might get lucky and have it
   work right.

For the modem:
I think you need to turn on CONFIG_SERIAL_SHARE_IRQ to get the modem to
work. If it doesn't work the first time on a particular kernel/pcmcia-cs
combo, I haven't been able to get it to work.

I'm currently using potato with a few changes -- 2.2.17pre20 (from
kernel.org) and pcmcia-source 3.1.19 (from woody).

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com