Re: laptops, mobile phones, irda, configuration

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 01:34:35AM +0200, m.nine.six wrote:
> "A. Demarteau (linux rules!)" wrote:
> >
> > dar laptop/debian users,
> > I'm lookig for a mobiel phone (it has to be gsm900-gsm1800 capable as I'm
> > in Europe).
>
> i can recommend you the motorola timeport L7089. it's triband so you can
> use it also on usa. there is also a wap version of it - but for what???

I have a S25 here... Never got it to work under Linux, but that just
because my IrDa jet does not work with Linux... (Just Dual-Band)

> > It has to do the fplowing:
> > 1. be usable as modem by pcmcia-card and/or irda
>
> irda port and also serial cable capable.
>
> > 2. be fully configurable via AT-string commands
>
> full compatible. also at cmd's for advanced options (like phonebook,
> etc...). till now haven't found an application for it but got from
> motorola the at cmd's. and if you want i would help to build an app. for
> it. or i can post it to you. just give me a sign.

With the S25 it is the same - you can get everything from Siemens.

> > 3. display-readout possible via the connection to the laptop as well
> > and ofcourse all under linux virtual-console (no X)
>
> perhaps should be possible with the addvanced options. haven't time to
> read the at cmd's.

I guess that is not possible with the S25 - but I´m not sure. I just
never heard about it. But you can get/manage all Telephone Numbers,
Contacts and Calendar entries via Software.

> > Any insites, success-stories, failures are welcome.
>
> i had some problems with the irda port of ericsson and the help-desk and
> also the local support was sufficing.

Afaik ericsson features a winmodem - but that will change with newer
models.

Bye,
   Alain