Re: esssolo1 and midi

>     I am using the esssolo1 for my laptop's soundcard, but I cannot get
>     the midi working. I read the source code and it seems to me that
>     /dev/midi is supported.
>
>     But playmidi keeps trying /dev/sequence. any ideas?

I may be mistaken, but isn't /dev/sequence the built in sequencer of the
sound card - which is then possibly non-existent on the solo, or just
unsupported - whereas /dev/midi is for an external midi device, e.g. a
midi keyboard connected to a joystick port via an adapter...? I know some
cards don't actually have onboard sequencers, and have wave-table
synthesis in the windows driver... or something like that. (Kind of like
a "WinSoundCard".)

I also stick to timidity - but isn't there supposed to be some kind of
software-wavetable feature in OSS? I noticed a "SoftOSS software wave
table engine (NEW)" option in "make menuconfig".

HTH,
Hugo van der Merwe