Re: getting high speed access when too far from the CO

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Brent Harding wrote:

> How can I get wireless high speed access that works anywhere, that I
> can hook a laptop up to and use like a modem, but faster? Is there
> something the same for a regular machine, usable dedicated style like DSL?
> I might happen to be too far from the central office, but would like
> something faster that won't dial tons of calls constantly to maintain high
> speed, like isdn tends to. T1 is too expensive, and it'd be hard to make
> enough to maintain and keep  it too long. Thanks.

erm....I think your find whatever the solution its going to be more
expensive than your T1 connection.  It really depends what you mean by
anywhere?  Do you actually mean anywhere within a 20-30mile radius or do
you mean anywhere down your street?

If you mean anywhere in the house, get your self a DSL line (or
something) set up a firewall/proxy server with a wireless lan card thrown
in and tada your solution (you may even get limited range down
the street ;)  Instead of wireless lans you could even go infrared
around the house, however this would be only the house.  However I
think you mean the latter.

You will probably find that a solution would be windoze only (marketing
reasons) with special purpose built closed source drivers.  Very expensive
and probably not really laptop material ie large externally powered box :(

Currently there is no real solution (that I know of) apart from using a
mobile phone and that is usually limited to around 9600bps.  hmmm 1k/sec,
not really high speed.  However soon next generation mobile phones will
offer in the region of 128k/sec to 256k/sec is some magically
manner.  Much nicer than ISDN....however I would be surprised if this came
cheap.

With a final thought what do you actually do on a *laptop* that needs a
high bandwidth connection?  From your e-mail it sounds like you want the
home desktop machine to have similar features.  Why can't the
highbandwidth go into the desktop machine and then get distrubuted around
your house via some wireless method?  I sure you have your reasons but
what you are asking for is not commerially available.

There is one, slightly illegal, method.  Set up the highbandwidth
connection at home and then boost the wireless card single with a jazzed
up wireless repeater.  This could give you a large range roaming distance
and once someone notices a fine :(  However there should be an allocated
channel for public misc use that you could go about an use :)

Alex