Re: strange melting screen when X starts

Thanks for everybody's help!

I've done it. I found an option in my BIOS setup called 'resolution
expended', and it was enabled by default. I disabled it and the melting
screen never show again. But there is a trade off. I can only get 640x480
small screen for text mode now. It's a bit painful. Can I have both full
screen text mode and a nice X?

And there are still some other problems.

1) X can't be killed nicely. After ctrl-alt-backspace or 'exit' 'restart'
from menu, it will get back to the login screen, and the system hangs up.
But I can swich to text mode by ctrl-alt-Fx, and can also nicely back to X
by alt-F7. And it also hangs up at the xdm login screen after comes back
from suspend mode.

3) The floppy LED keeps on from power on to power off, no matter in Linux
or Win98. It had never happened before I configed my new XFree86. I saw an
article about this problem before. But I can't find it again.

4) I still can't login as a normal user. I guess it's because something
wrong with my upgrade from 3.3.2 to 4.0.1. For example...

After upgrade, the mouse didn't work until I found some problem in the
/etc/gpm.conf file.

And some X scripts still look for 'xbanner' 'freetemp' programs which
can't be found in 4.0.1.

The /etc/xinit/xserverrc is a link to itself, and seems never work. Does
it matter?

The /etc/init.d/xdm script runs /usr/sbin/parse-xf86config program which
can not cope with 4.0.1 XF86Config file.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions! Can I have more? :)