Re: questions about toshiba tecra 8100

/ "A. Demarteau (linux rules!)" <linux@disnet.demon.nl> was heard to say:
| 1. how does the speedtrap thing work

What's the speedtrap thing?

| 2. does the internal modem work with linux

It's a winmodem, alas. Lucent have a driver, but it only works with
the 2.2.12 (or thereabouts) kernel. I gave up and bought a PCMCIA
modem.

| 3. for the selectbay oce of the choices is a LS-120 drive what the hell is
| it?

One of the big super drives; with 120Mb capacity, I'd guess. I dunno,
I got the regular floppy.

| 4. do sound and X work without too much teaking?

They work, but require some tweaking.

| 5. is the IRDA port supported and has anyone tested it yet?

I haven't tried, I disabled mine in BIOS. One less interrupt to fight
about.

| 6. is the port-replicator supportable under linux?

Sorry, I didn't get one.

| 7. any other notes of interrest in the combination linux and this laptop?

See also:

  http://wtsupport.metatec.net/technotes/alsasound-tecra8100.html
  http://www.escribe.com/computing/tecra-linux/m1196.html

                                        Be seeing you,