Re: kernel 2.2.15 and pcmcia 3.1.8

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 01:58:18PM -0700, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> According to Nate Bargmann:
> > I have had this problem with both kernel 2.2.14 and 2.2.15 using the
> > pcmcia 3.1.8-x package.  In short, it appears this version of pcmcia
> > is broken.
>
> Um, this may be a stupid question, but....  The current version of
> pcmcia is 3.1.15.  Why is _anyone_ still using 3.1.8?

It will take someone with more Debian experience than I to adequately
explain this, but as I understand it, Potato has been "frozen" for
several months now and is currently in a lock-down test freeze.  I
guess this means packages cannot be updated and apparently pcmcia
was updated to 3.1.8 between the last freeze and this freeze.  Keep
in mind that as a Debian release gets closer to "stable" it's packages
lag further behind the latest releases.  For example, look at the
package versions of the current "stable", Slink.

Perhaps over the weekend I can remove pcmcia 3.1.8 and install 3.1.9
or later, compiled from source, and raise a convincing argument for
pcmcia being updated.  I'm sure a much later version is included in
the "unstable" branch, Woody.

- Nate >>

P.S. I have been tracking Potato for the past three months and this is
the first "Show stopper" I've encountered.

--

 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | heartily, but good