Re: PCMCIA modules recompilation: Undefined symbols

Keith Geffert <keith@penguingurus.com> writes:
> I've been running potato for a while and have upgraded kernels when they
> released new ones into the distribution points.  So, I use kpkg to make
> my
> custom kernels and I've done it three or four times now and I've got my
> routine
> now.  But since this last kernel image/pcmcia modules update I've gotten
> the
> same thing as you have.
>

> > I needed to recompile a kernel to support some hardware on my laptop.
> > Thus also the PCMCIA modules needed to be build.  I issued:
> >         make-kpkg modules_clean
> >         make-kpkg modules_image
> > and installed.  All went fine.  Except with depmod (in the postinstall
> > script or otherwise) which gives me `Unresolved symbols' for the
> > PCMCIA modules (even for PCMCIA_core).
> >
> > I compiled from the Debian packaged kernel & PCMCIA sources, namely:
> >         kernel-source-2.2.15 1:2.2.15-2
> >         pcmcia-source        3.1.8-13
> > Any help would be very much appreciated --- especially as I have to
> > reboot with the old kernel to get connected..

I replied to the original poster in the debian-user mailing
list. Essentially this is a known problem and there are a couple of
ways to fix it mentioned in a bug report against pcmcia-source. You
can either turn off MODVERSIONS when you compile the kernel, or
there's a script available in the bug report that fixes the problem,
and lastly you can wait until the maintainer puts out a new version.

Take a look at:

http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=64953

Gary