Re: Modem on a Tecra 8100?

/ Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> was heard to say:
| Ok, now my new problem. Does anyone know how to configure pppd
| so that I can login "by hand" rather than through a chat script?

RTFM, you moron. Ok, so now I can do it, sortof, per the PPP
HOWTO.  I can connect with minicom, get past the
challenge/response, start ppp and quit without resetting the
modem.

Then I fire up 'pppd -detach /dev/modem 38400 &' and it says:

 The remote system is required to authenticate itself
 but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
 (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)

I'll go back to the FM, but if someone has a spare clue I can
borrow...

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--