Re: PCMCIA (FAST) ETHERNET CARD

> Heather,
>
> How did you setup your system to eject the card on suspension? I am
> trying to setup a Thinkpad 755CD to do a suspend when I close the
> laptop lid. Instead, it is just going to standby. I would think that the
> command to change this behavior would be in the same area as the
> command to eject your PC card. Plus, I'm also interested in the benefits
> you mentioned.
>
> Thanks,
> William

It can't -physically- eject it, but it can issue the command "cardctl eject"
and you are correct, the same program cardctl can force a card to software
suspend (which doesn't work on all cards, nor help on all systems).

/etc/pcmcia/apm.opts:
	APM=eject

/etc/apm/event.d/pcmcia:
	(as issued in potato, actually, I haven't needed to change it,
	but if yours is toasted I'll post it for you.)

I also abuse the "scheme" stuff in /etc/pcmcia by creating different case
sections in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts (for instance) and on my own first
case, change the first * of 4 (in *,*,*,*) to my scheme word, eg.
	case "$ADDRESS" in
	starshine,*,*,*)
			# network stuff for home...
		;;
	*,*,*,*)
			# default behavior; in my case, use pump for dhcp...
		;;
	esac

> On 18 May 00, at 15:13, Heather wrote:
> > Funny, I think this is the same card I use in my Magio, it works great.
> > However, I always set pcmcia services to "eject" my card on suspension. I
> > believe this gives them better life - but I do it because I hop two to four
> > sites and rarely am reawakening at the same one, so dhcp must re-gauge
> > anyway.

Best of luck with your networking :)

-* Heather Stern * star@starshine.org *- - -* star@ Tuxtops - laptops on linux!