Re: Thinkpad vs. Quantex

> > I am specing out a laptop for a company to buy.  They want to go with
> > Quantex as a brand.  The one I was thinking of is an IBM Thinkpad.  The
> > purpose is both Debian and Windows.

> if i remember right fortnocs almost bought a bunch of these but their sales
> team was so bad that they got scared off by what the tech support must be
> like.
>
> also they talked to some people (not sure who) who had used them and
> apparently the tech support was worse then they had imagined.  anyway this
> is all third or forth hand, but it was enough to put me off (even thought
> quantex's prices are really good).
>
> i love my thinkpad 390 though and ibm has been very helpful even with linux
> issues.  just check hardware specs fairly closely (eg. there is still no
> sound support for the sound card in my laptop ...).

I'm currently running a hybrid slink/potato setup on a Quantex T series
notebook.  Things work fine for my needs (don't need the built in modem, and
sound works, though I only use it for amusement (mp3's and misc)), though I
admit that I bought the Quantex because I couldn't afford the (roughly) equivalent
IBM notebook at the time.

My experience with the Quantex tech support is that it is not very good (though
that is my experience with tech support from most companies... :-(
Also, initial delivery was delayed for a month beyond the date I was told the
notebook would be delivered by.

My hardware was not fully supported by the slink CD's I installed from. I had to
grab the fdisk off of a Slackware CD I had laying around in order to see the
entire 10 G drive. I also had to upgrade to Xfree 3.5 for the ATI 3D Rage LT
Pro support to take full advantage of the 15 inch screen, and installed a 2.2.14
kernel to get ESS Maestro-2 support. This was all part of the fun for me, but I
imagine a business might be more interested in a solution that works out of the
box (and newer CD sets and different components might).

I'm very pleased with my hardware setup, though not with Quantex. If I were
looking for vendor support, I'd probably look elsewhere.

Alan Salewski