Re: New kernel (2.2.15), now keyboard/machine freezes often

Hi,

> On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 05:38:17PM +0930, Mark Phillips wrote:
> > > I've just compiled and installed a new kernel (version 2.2.15) on a
> > > friend's Toshiba laptop.  He has emailed me today complaining about
> > > keyboard freezes.  Actually, I'm not sure from his comments, whether
> > > it is just the keyboard that freezes or the whole computer.
>
> It happens also on my Toshiba Sattelite. With (the precompiled) Kernel
> from RedHat 6.1(de)i 2.2.12 and my selfcompiled 2.2.14.
> Both with APM.
>
> [...]
> > The freeze happens often after booting.  One time it worked for a
> > while, but then froze when changing consoles.
>
> I think it happens during init 3.

What do you mean "during init 3"?  As I understand it, normally the
run level remains fixed.  For Debian default is run level 2 and Red
Hat is default run level 3 --- I think.

> > I am guessing it is either
> [...]
>
> I will test this Ideas.

Were you able to find anything out?

I have been able to work one thing out.  It seems to be specifically
to do with the console.  By going straight to kdm, upon booting, it
seems to avoid the problem.  When you switch back to consoles, and
change between them, the problem shows up again.

Cheers,

Mark.