Installing slink on a Z505RX

   Hi,

   My excuses for any stupid questions but this is my first experience
installing Linux on a portable.

   So, I got my hands on a Z505RX and I would like to install Debian
on it.  I have a CD that will perform a minimal slink installation.

   Initially, I could boot but not access the CDROM.  I solved that by
making a small win98 installation and copying the CD onto that.  I
have since discovered how to access the CD as /dev/hde.

   Anyway, after that installing slink was easy.  Next problem was
gaining access to the net so I can upgrade the kernel and start
installing packages.  I have a 3com 3CXFE575BT pcmcia card that I can
use.  I got a message from the log saying that the pcmcia manager did
not know a card with manfid 0x0101, 0x5157.  I had a look in
/etc/pcmcia/config and found that the card was listed as 0x0101,
0x5057.  I naively added an entry for my card, using the "3c575_cb"
binding.

   No such luck.  At boot, the cb_enabler and the 3c575 gets installed
but kern.log has an entry saying "Unknown 3Com PCI adapter type 5157
detected, not configured" and I (obviously) cannot get link...

   Anybody?  Please help!

   -- Per.