APM and Suspend on IBM Thinkpad

Hi,

I've been lurking on the list here for the last month while I've been
setting up a Debian Linux system (slink upgraded to potato running
kernel 2.2.14) on a Thinkpad 755CD. It's been a poignant and,
oftentimes, frustrating experience but also exhilirating to be moving off
the reliance of MS and Win*.

Anyhow, I'm just about finished the install and have a couple questions:
 1) when I try to suspend the laptop by closing the case or using
'apm -s', nothing happens. Using the command, I get an error message
 'Cannot open APM device: Permission denied'
However, I am able to start apm and have it notice AC off-line/on-line
events. Could someone explain the meaning of this error?

 2) I am trying to understand the SystemV boot/shutdown sequences
but coming from the DOS/Win* world am having some difficulties. Could
someone give me a good technical reference article or FAQ about how
this all works?

Thanks in advance,
William

--