Re: Modem trouble

Nick Willson wrote:

> Seeking help getting a modem to work in potato + some unstable.  The modem is
> on a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 + 56K Modem PC Card, model no. PCMLM56.

I have this exact PC card, and it seems a fairly close laptop (see below).
So I'll see what I can do to help...

> When the laptop was running Slink (installed from official CD set) the modem
> worked but the ethernet did not.  Now the ethernet works but the modem does
> not.  More details below, all help welcome.
>
> Nick
>

> The laptop brand is "M-TECH".
Mine is "Keydata PC" (keydata-pc.com), but I think that it's pretty likely
they were made by the same manufacturer in Taiwan (very similar, almost
identical machines branded with several names).

> The bios:
>    (these descriptions appear during boot sequence):
>    SystemSoft MobilePRO BIOS Version 1.01 (2482-00)-(R1.14)
>    SystemSoft Plug-n-Play BIOS Ver 1.17.01
>
>    (version according to "Version Info" in BIOS setup):
>    1.00.03, Date: 10/22/97

Mine:
  SystemSoft MobilePRO BIOS Version 1.01 (2482-00)-(R1.20)
  SystemSoft Plug-n-Play BIOS Ver 1.17.01

> PnP OS support is disabled.

I don't have this set this way -- perhaps that's an issue.

> In Win98, the modem and ethernet both work.
> Here is what Win98 reports about the modem:
> Port COM3
> Interrupt 11
> Address 3E8
> UART NS 16550AN

???

> On rebooting into Linux without switching power off, Linux does not see the
> PCMCIA sockets.

Hmm.  I can reboot fine without poweroff.  I'm not sure what this says about
who's causing the problem.  Now that I think about it, I pretty much never
reboot from Win98 without first ejecting the modem card, though; maybe that
is a difference?

> Here is dmesg in full after rebooting from power off:
(fairly similar to mine... I'll just comment on a couple of differences that
 might be relevant)

> Linux version 2.2.14 (herbert@gondor) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000313 (Debian
I'm currently running 2.0.36 and 2.2.13 on my laptop.

> PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xeb190
On mine it found this at 0xeafa0, but that's probably not important.

> pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Hmm.  I have Unix98 ptys disabled in my kernels.  I don't know if that makes
any difference, but since I don't use them, I compiled them out (I don't like
lots of extra cruft).

> apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.9)
> apm: disabled on user request.
I have APM enabled from boot time, to keep things happy.  You might try
changing this to see if it has any effect (but I guess no).

(you should probably compile out the SCSI stuff, as it can occasionally cause
odd problems)

> Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.14
Mine is 3.0.14
>   kernel build: 2.2.14 unknown
> PCI routing table version 1.0 at 0xfe840
> Intel PCIC probe:
>   TI 1225 rev 01 PCI-to-CardBus at slot 00:0a, mem 0x68000000
Mine is TI 1220 PCI-to-CardBus at bus 0 slot 10, mem 0x68000000, 2 sockets
>     host opts [0]: [ring] [serial pci & irq] [pci irq 10] [lat 168/176] [bus
> 32/34]
>     host opts [1]: [ring] [serial pci & irq] [pci irq 10] [lat 168/176] [bus
> 35/37]
Mine has slightly different lines for these:
      host opts [0]: [pwr save] [serial pci & irq] [no pci irq] [lat 168/176] [but 32/34]
and the same change for slot 1 (i.e., no pci irq defined).
This I'm thinking might be the key difference.

> eth0: NE2000 Compatible: io 0x300, irq 3, hw_addr 00:E0:98:08:EA:C2
Same for me here (except the MAC address, of course!)

> tty02 at 0x0af8 (irq = 3) is a 16450
Mine says tty02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

One somewhat curious thing about your version of the above line is the
I/O port address:  0x3e8 is normal for tty02, and 0xaf8 seems odd for
a serial port.

I hope this information helps somewhat.  You might check for version sanity
on the pcmcia-* packages, as I think that "pci irq 10" versus my "no pci irq"
may be very important.  Also, I think that perhaps turning PnP OS support back
on via the BIOS may help with the non-power-off reboot from Win98 issue.

I have no idea what would cause your system to choose such an odd port for the
modem to report itself on.  If it's not really there, then of course the
UART detection will default out to a 16450, and it won't be able to talk to
it.

If there's any more info I can provide that would help, do let me know.  I
realize my machine's a little different from yours, but it's _very_ similar.

Yours,
Michael
--
Michael J. Banks