Problems leaving computer on overnight

Greetings to the list.
	First, thank you to everyone who continues to provide usefull and
helpful advice for me regarding the maintenance of my Debian machine.
	OK, now on to my present problem:
I have a Thinkpad 390E (266mhz and 128 meg of Ram) running Debian frozen
at my place of work.  Historically, I have shutdown my laptop every night
and then rebooted every morning.  But, as I understand that Linux doesn't
need to be rebooted all of the time, I thought I would start to leave it
running, but it presents me with some problems.
	I have apm disabled in the bios.  But when I come in each morning,
my computer is CREEPING.  From the wdm login screen, it takes about 5
minutes to load Gnome.  But even if it loads, it then takes another minute
to open any program such as Netscape.  When I run top, nothing shows up
odd.  The only way I have found to fix this problem is to reboot.
	Is there a program out there that I need to install to fix
this?  Is this a bug in frozen?  How can I, or should I give my computer a
"jolt" of energy?

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bryan Walton