KDE Not Starting after KDM Login

I am running Debian 2.1 (slink) with kernel built from 2.2.14 source. I've
compiled KDE 1.1.2 from source and installed in /opt/kde. Everything works fine
with a tty login and startx. However, if I attempt a graphical login, KDM
grapical login logs me in but does not start kde. Instead, I get the normal
"gray" X background and a console. Also, the path echoed in the console is:

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin/usr/bin/X11

This is not the path I've set in both /etc/profile and ~/.profile (both of
which include /opt/kde/bin). I've compared my setup to a Debian box running KDE
installed from debs and other than the KDEDIR being different, I can't see a
difference. Can someone point me in the right direction to getting KDE going
after the graphical login? Thanks.

--
Bill Caskey