Re: Mouse doesn't work right in X

> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Morgan Terry wrote:
>
> > I have potato installed on my laptop, with X (version 3.3.6, i think),
> > and have everything set up for my display, but when I start X & move my
> > mouse, the cursor goes right to the bottom of the screen (well, off the
> > screen, actually) and apparently it thinks i'm clicking the mouse
> > buttons too since the WindowMaker menus pop up.  I can't get the cursor
> > to work normally.  It just stays off the screen.  I can move side to
> > side, but that doesn't really help much :-)  Any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.  Thanks
>
> It's hard to help you out with no knowledge of what laptop or what mouse
> you have; however, it sounds like you're using an ikncorrect protocol. I
> can't recall the proper method for detecting mouse hardware under X, but
> gpmconfig out of X should give you a pretty good idcea of what you're up
> against.
>
> Ben

move your /etc/X11/XF86Config to some other filename, then run XF86Setup
as root.  1) it may actually get your mouse right, in which case, note
which it thinks it is.  2) you can use the keyboard to get it to load
different mouse behaviors until one is shown to behave itself properly.
note which one that is.  then 3) abort, go back to your original XF86Config
file, and graft the values in.  plus move it back.  The moving it away is
in case you accidentally let the setup program go through the complete
sequence (maybe you are distracted)... you don't want to write over anything
else you put in there already.

-or-

1) setup gpm correctly, 2) stop using /dev/psaux (or whatever the real
port is) - switch to using the repeater output for X's input mousedev.
man gpm for its name, I've forgotten, it's a bit late for me right now.

* Heather * star@starshine.org