Re: Xfree86 3.3.6 with and without eth0

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Michael Perry <mperry@tsoft.com> wrote:

> I have noticed a minor issue which I would like to submit to the
> wisdom of the list. When I run xfree86 3.3.6 on my potato laptop with
> an active ethernet connection, x will just start right up. My laptop
> is a Dell Latitude Ls model with an integrated 3com 905c tornado card
> (not pcmcia). If I do not have a physical network connection, but eth0
> is still running, I notice a significant delay in starting x up but it
> will start. If I bring down eth0 by typing ifdown eth0, x starts right
> up.
>
> Why is this?  Besides getting the feeling that x is timing out on the
> network connection.

It probably is X timing out - but on trying to use the DNS system,
rather than anything directly related to X.

See what '/etc/resolv.conf' contains when it is timing out - I will lay
odds that it does contain one (or more) 'nameserver' lines.

To fix this, either make sure the interface goes down when there is no
physical connection, or make sure that you remove those lines from the
resolv.conf file.

Oh, and restart 'nscd', if you use it, after changing the file.

        Daniel

--
Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go
through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in