Xfree86 3.3.6 with and without eth0

I have noticed a minor issue which I would like to submit to the wisdom of
the list.  When I run xfree86 3.3.6 on my potato laptop with an active
ethernet connection, x will just start right up.  My laptop is a Dell
Latitude Ls model with an integrated 3com 905c tornado card (not pcmcia).
If I do not have a physical network connection, but eth0 is still running, I
notice a significant delay in starting x up but it will start. If I bring
down eth0 by typing ifdown eth0, x starts right up.

Why is this?  Besides getting the feeling that x is timing out on the
network connection.

--
Michael Perry
mperry@tsoft.com