PCMCIA problems with TOshiba T1900 Satelite

I'm trying to get a Toshiba T1900 Satellite (486sx) to work with a
PCMCIA NIC/Modem card with no luck.

I have two laptops:
An old 486sx Toshiba Satellite T1900 and a newer CTX EzBook P166. I
installed Debian 2.1 on the Toshiba and am able to use a 10Mbps pcmcia
network card in it's single slot so I know the slot is good. The
problem is that I'm unable to get any other cards to work in it.

I'd like to get it to work with a combo card D-Link DMF-560TX (10/100
and 56K modem) or some other combo card, but  I can't get it to bing up
the eth0 interface. This card works fine with the CTX machine.

The card that works in the Toshiba is a Linksys comboPCMCIA Model no
EC2T. It's only an NIC, not a NIC/Modem combo.

Since this is a fairly old machine, I'm wondering:
1. Is it the wrong pcmcia type? Type 1, or 2? I called a local laptop
   place and they said that if the card fits at all, it's the correct
type
   (type 2).

2. Maybe the Toshiba can't handle a 10/100 NIC/Modem card since it's
   old and a 486sx after all.

3. Maybe I need to reinstall Debian with the NIC/Modem in the slot
   rather than the 10Mbps NIC so the installation will detect it and
   install around it.

4. Maybe the upcoming Debian 2.2 will have better support.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanx,

Ed