Messy display on Satellite 110CS

Dear all,
	I am running Linux2.1 on a Toshiba Satellite 110CS since 2 months
ago. (with Xfree and xdm).
	Every now and then (say once every 2 weeks) the display in X would
become blurry, as if the orizontal lines were not aligned any more (i.e.
display shifted horizontally, deforming the characters & so on); when it
happened the character terminals used to be still fine and switching a
couple of times to&from (like Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F7, Ctrl-ALtF1,
Ctrl-Alt-F7) would bring my graphics display back in order. It was fine
under Windows95 (the few times I booted into it). I was meaning to look
into the problem as soon as I had some spare time, but...
	yesterday night the thing happened again and this time also the
charater display is affected and it happens also under Windows. Now I can
just read enough to log in and give the "halt" command (or to guess where
the Shutdwon button is when in Win95).

Any ideas anyone?

	I am not sure what information is relevant in this case. I'll give
you all what I remember on top of my head and could be related.
	Xfree86 config. Refresh rates are an interpolation between the
ones given in 2 different config found on the internet: one was specifying
very narrow ranges, the other very wide, but neither of them would work.
	The computer is permenently connected to an ethernet socket and
has been running ssh, telnet and Netscape 90% of the time it has been
used. I tried TeX&Xdvi just to check that the installation went fine. I
usually bring them up from the server in my department through the ssh
channel.

Thanks for any suggestion.

	matteo

Matteo Semplice