Re: Xircom Realport 10/100 CB not functioning

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 10:22:58AM -0700, paul@mainland.ab.ca wrote:

> Looking through the archives, it seems people have been having success
> using this card, I, however, have not.
>
> During the intial Debian base install, if I configure PCMCIA support, it
> intializes fine, and finds the Xircom card no problem and configures the
> tulip_cb module.
> However, when I configure the network, DHCP config fails (dhcp server is
> functioning properly), and if I do a manual net config, the install
> freezes when it tries to configure the nic.
>
> If I don't configure the network and instead finish the base install I
> can reboot into linux without network.  At this point, eth0 is
> configured correctly to be the Xircom, but both loopback and the nic are
> down.
>
> If I configure loopback, then configure eth0 with the appropriate
> settings and ensure I have appropriate routing, things still don't work.
> As soon as I try to ping
> someone I start getting this message repeatedly:
>
> eth0: Transmit timed out, status 686980c7, CSR12 000000c2, resetting...
>
> This continues until I bring down eth0.

I had lots of problems like this. The problem is the serial module installed
by setserial. Either remove setserial, or rmmod serial.o, and it should
be happier.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
        There was a time when a fool and his money were soon parted,