Xircom Realport 10/100 CB not functioning

Looking through the archives, it seems people have been having success using this card, I, however, have not.

During the intial Debian base install, if I configure PCMCIA support, it intializes fine, and finds the Xircom card no problem and configures the tulip_cb module.
However, when I configure the network, DHCP config fails (dhcp server is functioning properly), and if I do a manual net config, the install freezes when it tries to configure the nic.

If I don't configure the network and instead finish the base install I can reboot into linux without network.  At this point, eth0 is configured correctly to be the Xircom, but both loopback and the nic are down.

If I configure loopback, then configure eth0 with the appropriate settings and ensure I have appropriate routing, things still don't work.  As soon as I try to ping
someone I start getting this message repeatedly:

eth0: Transmit timed out, status 686980c7, CSR12 000000c2, resetting...

This continues until I bring down eth0.

Any thoughts?

Paul