Re: Purchasing a laptop::Anyone fully satisfied with theirs?

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, esoR ocsirF <rosef@eou.edu> wrote:

> Greetings, I hope this is not to far off topic. I am purchasing a new
> laptop for the Science Journal at my school. I was hoping that I could
> get some feed back on fairly recent laptops that are around $3000 and
> *fully* functional under debian. I was hoping for something like the
> following;

I use the Gateway Solo 9300 series, with 15" LCD (at 1024x768 max).
These are a great machine - workstation class performance, >4 hours
battery life (with 'max saving' mode under battery), very nice.

The engineering is superb, the performance is great and while the
hardware will not cope quite so well with games, it's a great machine to
work with.

It's also the smallest and lightest machine in it's class that I was
able to find, which is nice. I would recommend them.

The only constraints with them are that you need XFree86 3.3.6 installed
_or_ to use the VESA FrameBuffer support and switch to graphics mode on
boot for the LCD panel to work.

This isn't a big issue and all, and everything else just worked. Er,
except the internal modem which, I believe, is a WinModem and all. I
just never had a need of that myself.

        Daniel

--
If you consistently take an antagonistic approach, however, people are going
to start thinking you're from New York.   :-)