Installation on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 420CDT

After running Red Hat 6.0 for about 8 months on my laptop, I'm trying to
convert to Debian. I'm using the CD that accompanies Bill McCarty's book and
"Running Linux" for additional help. I've got the system installed but I have
two questions that I've been unable to decipher looking through the archives of
this list (and the Debian list) plus other info sites on the Web.

1.	What is the proper sequence of events for booting to a graphical login
(xdm initially)? I've found references to 4 different ways to accomplish a
graphical login.
2.	I need to re-compile to activate apm. Apparently I'll also need to
compile PCMCIA source and install as well. My system is the basic system with
1.3 Gb hard drive, CD-ROM, floppy, serial port, and parallel port for printer. I
have a v.90 56K modem and LS-120 drive connected via the PCMCIA slots. Will I
need to compile anything else and install after building the new kernel and
modules?

Thanks for your advice.

 --Bill Caskey