Re: Please tell your success story

> Who has recently bought a laptop and was able to install LINUX?

I recently bought a laptop for my husband and he's very happy with it;
it came pre-loaded with RedHat but there's been no problem tossing Debian
on.  I got it for his birthday :)

> Could you please tell me the exact type of your laptop + how you have solved
> problems.
>
> I am particularly interested in laptops of the higher class:
>
> 6-15 GB HD
18 Gb :D :D :D  but smaller drives were available.

> 64-128 MB RAM
256 Mb

> USB, serial, parallel

He hasn't tried serial, parallel yet but he put a USB wheelmouse on.

> floppy
'course! (builtin)

> DVD instead of CD
Yup - 6x even.

> 14" color
They offered that size but I got the 15.1" monitor for him.

> external wheel mouse possible

not sure he actually got the wheel itself working yet though - I have to
ask him.

> sound
ESS maestro, no hitches so far.

> modem and/or Ethernet included

Has a Lucent winmodem but it came with a copy of the "binary driver" already
in the RH boot sequence.  Jim ignores it. (Should work after a fashion, tho -
this is what a lot of the linmodems gang are applying themselves towards.)
They offer a very nice modem+10/100 Linksys card - the Etherfast with no
dongle and builtin lights.

Ok, since I didn't mention a brand yet, I'm just gonna note, I bought it on
employee discount from Tuxtops.  You probably want to look at the whole
product line though, as you can get a DVD even on the "value" model if you
want.   I'll tack in since I know it will matter to you, yes, we do ship
internationally.  And just to nail the obvious Q before it becomes an FAQ:

"preloaded, cool, when ya gonna do Debian?"
... We're working on it!  Our normal customers aren't already into Linux so
   it has to be a nice polished job.  You can join our announce list if you
   want to hear about it when it rolls.

See http://www.tuxtops.com for all the specs and like that.

-* Heather Stern -*- star@starshine.org -*- speaking from home. *-