Re: Please tell your success story

Dieter Ebner <ebner@spock.physik.uni-konstanz.de> writes:

> Who has recently bought a laptop and was able to install LINUX?

I have, and was.

> Could you please tell me the exact type of your laptop + how you
> have solved problems.

It's an IBM ThinkPad 390E (ENUK to be precise - N for NT (that didn't
last long), UK for the British version).  The only problem I had was
that the graphics chipset (Neomagic something I think) wasn't
supported by the X server that came with slink, so I upgraded to
potato and all is now well.

APM and even sound both work fine.  The latest 2.2 kernel comes with a
driver for the sound hardware (ESS Solo 1 or something like that).

> I am particularly interested in laptops of the higher class:

Mmmmm . . . me too . .

> 6-15 GB HD

6 here.

> 64-128 MB RAM

128 here.  Machine came with 64 as standard.

> USB, serial, parallel

Yup, haven't tried USB or parallel yet.

> floppy

Indeed.

> DVD instead of CD

No, just 24xCD I'm afraid.

> 14" color

Yes.   Mmmmm . .  gorgeous . . .

> external wheel mouse possible

Haven't tried.

> sound

See above.  The speakers sound crap to me.  Depends on what you're
expecting.

> modem and/or Ethernet included

Only an internal "WIN"-modem, alas.

hth,